Thursday, May 26, 2011

Ah, Race Week!

This is race week, the week of no sleep, running around, worrying, stressing, constantly checking the weather forecast, obsessively checking registration numbers, race nightmares taking over sleep, scrambling and busy work. Sounds like fun!? Your ideal of a job!? It's mine!

Ah, race week!

Race Directing has some fun challenges and decisions that most people probably do not think about. I have been obsessing about porto-potties. Yes, portable bathrooms have been haunting me this week. Good Karma is sort of on that fine line, not quite enough people to warrant porto-potties (they are really expensive!) but if I get as many people as I am hoping I will need them. Do I just go ahead and order them? When there are nonprofits involved you have to consider them as well. If I do not get porto-potties its more money for them. But, you want participants to have the best experience possible and also not get in trouble from the Parks Department. When is the last possible moment I can order them? Really, this is my life!

Ah, race week!

My small apartment has officially been taken over by race stuff. You can barely get through the hallway without running into boxes of shirts, bananas, prizes and big signs. Good thing I have a storage unit so I don't have to dodge traffic cones and water jugs with my bad knee.

Ah, race week!

I am also completely high on fumes from the plastic bags I have been stuffing with hundreds of pieces of printed materials. Oh no, how many bags should I make? Should I include that sample and that flyer?

Ah, race week!

Now the worry of what big thing I am missing, what have I forgotten. I am hoping nothing and that every participant and volunteer walks away with a smile, a feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction of knowing they have helped with some great causes.

Ah, race week!

No comments:

Post a Comment