Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Welcome to Run for Good

Welcome to Run for Good's new blog! Run for Good Racing Company is a Seattle based running company dedicated to putting on fun, unique running events that benefit the community. Run for Good was founded by Ilana Balint (the author) after having being laid off from a PR job, finding myself with a lot of time on my hands and not wanting to be idle. I decided to put on a 5K fundraiser for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and threw together Run Scared in a matter of a few months. We got about 150 participants, not bad for a first year, no budget production!

The next year, I was still unemployed so I decided to organize Run Scared for a second time. This time around we got over 800 participants! I thought to myself, "OK, could I do this for a living?" and the answer was yes! The next month my unemployment ran out and I started Run for Good.

The concept behind it is to be a business whose sole purpose is not to make money, but whose purpose is to help local nonprofits with much needed fund-raising support, to get the community healthy, to provide a great outlet for those wanting to do some good with not a lot of time on their hands and to have fun and perhaps make a living at the same time.

So, here we are, months later, painstaking bookkeeping, licensing, insurance issues and tedious business stuff out of the way, with a race coming up, Good Karma 5K on May 29th. It will be Seattle's only choose your own charity race, check out the website for all the fun details.

No comments:

Post a Comment