Monday, August 14, 2017

The power of adrenaline

You hear stories of mothers lifting cars off of their children or a hiker surviving for days in the woods or some such tale of super human feats when the body is shot with adrenaline. I experienced my own very small version of that this weekend at the Lake Union 10K.

While we were setting up the night before the race we were unpacking a truck, when out comes tumbling what looked like a very light piece of the blow up arch we used for our finish line. It was not our equipment, but our timing company's so I felt the need for extra efforts. So, I dove for it, trying to save it. Well, it was heavier than it looked and it was more awkward than it looked thus was falling at a very strange angle. You can see where this is going right? The piece of equipment did not break, probably because the fall was broken by my pinkie finger.

Now I always get bumps and bruises. It is just inevitable. But, this was searing hot pain, immediately. The only solution was to stick it in a fountain (the only version of ice we had in the park) and tape it up with duct tape and carry on.

We set up for another hour or so. Went home and iced, kept the duct tape on and then showed up and directed the full event. Packed up and unloaded the truck including tables, tents, cones...you know, heavy, big items.

I was ignoring my finger.

My body usually runs only on adrenaline on race mornings. I find it hard to eat on race mornings, I usually never get much sleep the night before and little coffee (I always get a coffee but then I always set it down somewhere and never get to finish). So that adrenaline just carries me until I can collapse on the couch.

It worked again this time. What else was I to do other than pull off a great event!?

By the time I was able to get to the doctor this morning it was throbbing, bruised and very swollen. Now that the adrenaline has worn off it started to hurt. X-rays and an exam proved I have a fractured pinkie. I am amazing more damage was not done by all the lifting. A finger wrap for the next two weeks and some icing a couple of times a day and I should be good to go.

The power of adrenaline is truly amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment