Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Demand is High, Supplies are Low

One of Good Karma 5K's beneficiaries is Northwest Harvest. Participants can sign up in support of them or they can also bring food donations on race day. I went to their Cherry St. location yesterday to pick up some fliers and a food drive collection box for race day and was blown away. I just so happened to be there during a food bank pickup time.

We have all been told the need for food to stock the food banks, we have heard on the news that supplies are low and demand is high these days. Sure, some of us might put out a can of almost expired beans when the post office does their annual food drive. But, you can't really know what that all means until you go to a food bank and see for yourself.

When I arrived there was literally a line up the hill and around the corner. I went inside to the warehouse distribution center I saw piles and piles of food and volunteers buzzing about. I thought to myself, ok, this looks like enough food for these hungry people, its not so bad. But, as I stood there, waiting for the employee I was getting the stuff from, maybe 5 minutes, that pile of oatmeal had dwindled down from an overflowing pile to just a few bags. Was it enough food? I had the sudden urge to run out and start collecting food from any passer by.

It makes me feel good, personally, that I am trying to get something done about it. I feel like I am helping in some small tiny way to help the situation. This is why I started this company in the first place. I am glad I happened to be there at that time, gave me a renewed sense of purpose, as cliched as that sounds.

Like the news says, the demand is high and the supplies are low. It really is true. If you doubt it just go observe a food bank in action, or better yet, volunteer your time and donate food! Or better yet, sign up for Good Karma and bring some food along with you. I will have the bin waiting to be filled.

No comments:

Post a Comment